How to Create Realistic Soft Glows & Realistic Flames and Flares
Join Amy Shulke, a professional illustrator and marker enthusiast for a beautiful glowing candle lesson- Vanilla Arts style!
Marker Painting is a completely different approach to coloring with markers. Amy teaches students basic techniques and color theory based on the way artists use paint. Instead of focusing on "how" to color a selected stamp image, Amy shows you the "why" behind color selection, shade, layering, and depth. This provides students with the necessary knowledge to color any stamp image in their collection and every stamp they might purchase in the future.
This class contains challenges for confident colorers
Skill Level: intermediate to advanced
In a 15 minute technique lesson, Amy shows you her method for creating beautiful and smooth ink backgrounds that save you time and create a quiet atmosphere to highlight your stamped images.
A bonus 5 minute video shows you an old-school method for mounting your projects to a drawing board, clipboard, or desktop without damaging the paper's surface.
Then in a four part series of fully narrated coloring demonstration videos, students will practice coloring a glowing candle with amazing depth. Total demonstration time is 58 minutes. This lesson is applicable to a wide variety of stamps which contain candles, lanterns, flashlights, lightbulbs, and even the moon.
- Push & Pull
- Use of photo references for accuracy
- Kick-out shadows
- Detail work technical pens or pencils
- Underpainting to create marker colors which Copic doesn't make
- Non-traditional blending combinations
- Soft highlighting, sharp highlighting
- Color bounce and unification
- 15 minute video- a deep-dive look at smooth & vibrant ink backgrounds
- 5 minute video- safe project mounting technique
- 13 minute video- Candlelight background process
- 36 minutes of video- color along style instructional video using Copic markers
- 19 minute video- color along style instructional video using artist grade colored pencils
- Candlelight digital stamp in three handy formats (PNG, JPG, or quick print PDF)
- recipe guide
- printable full color sample, underpainting guide, detailed color map, and photo reference
Required Supplies: full supply list included in class package
- High-quality water-friendly marker cardstock (Cryogen Curious Metallic, White recommended)
- Copic Markers
- Technical pen (Staedtler Triplus Fineliner recommended)
- Artist quality colored pencils (Prismacolor Premier recommended)
Amy is a professional freelance technical illustrator with 25 years of experience in graphic arts. Amy began using colored pencils in 1985 and she started with DeSign markers in 1989. Colored pencils with a base of either marker or watercolor is her preferred process for portraiture and scientific illustration. She has a special passion for teaching crafters and shy artists to stretch their boundaries by adding established fine art techniques to their coloring projects.
Join Amy for fun and highly informative lessons which will not only change the way you color but the way you see color in the world around you.
"It's the OMG moments. That's why Amy's classes rock. She explains things that you've maybe noticed before but never thought much about. I love it!"
"At 62 years of age I have no illusions about becoming a great artist but. I am so appreciative of the change in my perception since taking classes with Amy at Vanilla Arts Co. Now I see the play of colors, the motion and the grace... It's a great way to view the world around me."
"I just love the things I'm learning and can't wait to start the next project. Your images are challenging for me and I like that. I'll never look at another image and how to color it the same again!"