Beginner Challenge Marker Painting - Over Color and Under Color
Join Amy Shulke, a professional illustrator and marker enthusiast for a fun and informative coloring lesson- Vanilla Arts style!
Marker Painting is a completely different approach to coloring with markers. Amy teaches students basic techniques and color theory based on the way artists use paint. Instead of focusing on "how" to color a selected stamp image, Amy shows you the "why" behind color selection, shade, layering, depth, and form. This provides students with the necessary knowledge to color any stamp image in their collection and every stamp they might purchase in the future.
Complementary Pears requires confident Copic and colored pencil skills.
Skill Level: intermediate level + skills practice for advanced (not for beginners)
This class originally ran as a Vanilla Livestream in January 2019. It was filmed live and unscripted. This is a different style of presentation than the normal Marker Painting Workshops. Amy speaks live and off-the-cuff, so this is a more conversational and less formal feeling class.
Includes an introduction video with the opening of the class and a student Q&A session at the close.
Then in a 10 part series of demonstration videos, students will practice coloring the My Favorite Pair image. Instruction includes all elements, the cast shadowing, underpainting base markering, and pencil details to create depth and dimension. A full 176 minutes of total video.
- Push & Pull
- Undercoloring vs. overcoloring
- Speckled Background
- Detail work with colored pencils
- 15 minutes of demonstration video - Introduction & Lesson Review
- 12 minutes of demonstration video - Lesson Review
- 23 minutes of demonstration video - Copic Background process
- 14 minutes of demonstration video - Copic for Ribbon and Stems
- 16 minutes of demonstration video - Copic for Leaves & Technical Pen details for Flower Disc
- 18 minutes of demonstration video - Copic for Petals, Ribbon and Bowl
- 24 minutes of demonstration video - Complementary Color discussion and Copic for Pears
- 22 minutes of demonstration video - Technical Pen details for Pears, Ribbon. Colored Pencil detail for Pears
- 16 minutes of demonstration video - Colored pencil detail for Petals, Stems, Leaves and Ribbon
- 16 minutes of demonstration video - Colored Pencil detail for Bowl & Colored Pencil highlights and Q&A
- recipe guide
- printable full color sample, underpainting guide, detailed color map, background process photos, photo reference and marker only sample.
Please note: Q&A session was for students who attended the live session
Required Supplies: printable supply list included in class package
PLEASE NOTE- Stamp is a separate purchase from PowerPoppy.com and is not included in the class materials here. My Favorite Pair is the digital stamp used for this class.
- high-quality Copic friendly marker cardstock (Cryogen Curious Metallic White is highly recommended).
- Copic Markers
- technical pens - Triplus Fineliners (0.3)
- artist quality colored pencils (Prismacolor Premier recommended)
- Tombow Mono Zero Eraser, Round (will be used as a tool, not just for mistakes)
- Old cotton washcloth (terry cloth, not woven)
- Mod Podge or Hake dusting brush
- Acrylic clipboard, glass mat or hard surface
- Drafting tape
- Pencil, pencil sharpener
- Erasers - black and white polymer, white sticky tack
Amy is a professional freelance technical illustrator with 25 years of experience in graphic arts. Amy began using colored pencils in 1985 and they are her preferred medium for portraiture and scientific illustration. She has a special passion for teaching crafters and shy artists to stretch their boundaries by incorporating established art techniques to their coloring projects. Join Amy for fun and highly informative lessons which will not only change the way you color but the way you see color in the world around you.
"It's the OMG moments. That's why Amy's classes rock. She explains things that you've maybe noticed before but never thought much about. I love it!"
"At 62 years of age I have no illusions about becoming a great artist but. I am so appreciative of the change in my perception since taking classes with Amy at Vanilla Arts Co. Now I see the play of colors, the motion and the grace... It's a great way to view the world around me."
"I just love the things I'm learning and can't wait to start the next project. Your images are challenging for me and I like that. I'll never look at another image and how to color it the same again!"
"I warn people when they sign up for your classes-- it's not just Copic, it's sooooooooo much more."
"Thank you, Amy for your generous nature. There are many gifted people in the world but you share your gifts so freely. Your classes are wonderful and I sincerely hope that the new online project allows more and more students to fall in love with your classes."