Beginner - The Art of Flicking
New to Copic Markers? New to Vanilla Arts Classes? This class is perfect for beginners and casual colorers.
Join Amy Shulke, a professional illustrator and marker enthusiast for a cheerful floral lesson- Vanilla Arts style!
Marker Painting is a completely different approach to coloring with markers. Amy teaches students basic techniques and color theory based on the way artists use paint. Instead of focusing on "how" to color a selected stamp image, Amy shows you the "why" behind color selection, shade, layering, and depth. This provides students with the necessary knowledge to color any stamp image in their collection and every stamp they might purchase in the future.
Recommended first class for all beginners
Skill Level: absolute beginner
In one hour lesson, Amy covers the flick technique and how to use it with both marker and colored pencil to develop depth in floral images.
Other techniques put to use in Oopsie Daisy:
- Push & Pull
- Color Bounce
- Color Kissing
- Temperture Balance
- Basic techniques for technical pen and colored pencil details
One Hour Course includes:
- 15 minute video- deep-dive look at the flick stroke called The Art of Flicking
- 45 minute video- color along style instructional video
- Oopsie Daisy digital stamp in three handy formats (PNG, JPG, or quick print PDF)
- recipe guide
- full color sample, underpainting guide, detailed color map
- bonus guide: push & pull for florals
- discussion board (on this class site, not at Patreon)
Required Supplies: full supply list included in class package
- high-quality marker cardstock
- Copic Markers- B24, B26, BV20, BV23, G28, Y15, YG11, YG23, YG17, YR12
- fine-line technical pens (0.3) in light green (not olive), sepia/golden brown, yellow
- artist quality colored pencils- Indigo Blue, Denim Blue, Cerulean Blue, Cloud Blue, Chartreuse, Light Yellow, Baby Pink, Lilac
Amy is a professional freelance technical illustrator with 25 years of experience in graphic arts. Amy began using colored pencils in 1985 and they are her preferred medium for portraiture and scientific illustration. She has a special passion for teaching crafters and shy artists to stretch their boundaries by incorporating established art techniques to their coloring projects. Join Amy for fun and highly informative lessons which will not only change the way you color but the way you see color in the world around you.
"It's the OMG moments. That's why Amy's classes rock. She explains things that you've maybe noticed before but never thought much about. I love it!"
"At 62 years of age I have no illusions about becoming a great artist but. I am so appreciative of the change in my perception since taking classes with Amy at Vanilla Arts Co. Now I see the play of colors, the motion and the grace... It's a great way to view the world around me."
"I just love the things I'm learning and can't wait to start the next project. Your images are challenging for me and I like that. I'll never look at another image and how to color it the same again!"
"I warn people when they sign up for your classes-- it's not just Copic, it's sooooooooo much more."
"Thank you, Amy for your generous nature. There are many gifted people in the world but you share your gifts so freely. Your classes are wonderful and I sincerely hope that the new online project allows more and more students to fall in love with your classes."