Rebel Blending & Color Sculpting + Developing vibrant backgrounds
Join Amy Shulke, a professional illustrator and marker enthusiast for a fun and informative coloring lesson- Vanilla Arts style!
Marker Painting is a completely different approach to coloring with markers. Amy teaches students basic techniques and color theory based on the way artists use paint. Instead of focusing on "how" to color a selected stamp image, Amy shows you the "why" behind color selection, shade, layering, and depth. This provides students with the necessary knowledge to color any stamp image in their collection and every stamp they might purchase in the futu
Tree Frog requires confident Copic and colored pencil skills.
Skill Level: intermediate and advanced skills (not for beginners)
In a 10 minute Technique Deep Dive lesson, Amy shows you how to repair the halos that happen with Distress Ink backgrounds.
Then in a six part series of fully narrated coloring demonstration videos, students will practice coloring the Tree Frog image. Instruction includes the background, base markering, and the entire process of detailing the frog with colored pencils. 110 minutes of total project demonstration time.
- Swish & Flick
- Push & Pull
- Color Chasing
- Detail work with colored pencils
- 10 minute Technique Deep Dive video- fixing background halos that happen all too frequently during the masking process
- 30 minutes of demonstration video- the background inking process
- 40 minutes of demonstration video- color-along style instruction using Copic Markers
- 40 minutes of demonstration video- color along style instructional using technical pens and Prismacolor Colored Pencils
- Digital stamp in three handy formats (PNG, JPG, or quick print PDF)
- recipe guide
- printable full color sample, underpainting guide, detailed color map, and photo reference
Required Supplies: printable supply list included in class package
- high-quality Copic friendly marker cardstock (Cryogen 89lb Coverstock in Curious Metallic White is highly recommended. DO NOT USE X-PRESS IT IF USING THE DISTRESS INK BACKGROUND TECHNIQUE)
- Distress Ink Pads + Mini Blending Tools (Oxide ink version is NOT recommended) - Peacock Feathers, Salty Ocean, Seedless Preserves
- black technical pen - either Copic Multiliner 0.3 or Staedtler Triplus 0.3
- Copic Markers- 0, C5, B34, BV31, R14, R17, R20, RV13, V12, V15, Y35, Y38, YG13, YG17, YG21
- optional Copic Markers (chosen to match my background results, yours may differ, selection process explained in deep dive lesson) - BG07, B34
- artist quality colored pencils (Prismacolor Premier recommended)- 901 Indigo Blue, 926 Carmine Red, 929 Pink, 931 Dark Blue, 938 White, 1002 Yellowed Orange, 1079 Blue Violet Lake
- optional Prismacolor pencils (chosen to match my background results, yours may differ, selection process explained in deep dive lesson) - 1100 China Blue, 1027 Peacock Blue, 905 Aquamarine
Amy is a professional freelance technical illustrator with 25 years of experience in graphic arts. Amy began using colored pencils in 1985 and she started with DeSign markers in 1989. Colored pencils with a base of either marker or watercolor is her preferred process for portraiture and scientific illustration. She has a special passion for teaching crafters and shy artists to stretch their boundaries by adding established fine art techniques to their coloring projects.
Join Amy for fun and highly informative lessons which will not only change the way you color but the way you see color in the world around you.
"It's the OMG moments. That's why Amy's classes rock. She explains things that you've maybe noticed before but never thought much about. I love it!"
"At 62 years of age I have no illusions about becoming a great artist but. I am so appreciative of the change in my perception since taking classes with Amy at Vanilla Arts Co. Now I see the play of colors, the motion and the grace... It's a great way to view the world around me."
"I just love the things I'm learning and can't wait to start the next project. Your images are challenging for me and I like that. I'll never look at another image and how to color it the same again!"
"I warn people when they sign up for your classes-- it's not just Copic, it's sooooooooo much more."
"Thank you, Amy for your generous nature. There are many gifted people in the world but you share your gifts so freely. Your classes are wonderful and I sincerely hope that the new online project allows more and more students to fall in love with your classes."