Ink & Hydrangea
Marker Painting: Color Shifting for Depth
Join Amy Shulke, a professional illustrator and marker enthusiast for a fun and informative coloring lesson- Vanilla Arts style!
Marker Painting is a completely different approach to coloring with markers. Amy teaches students basic techniques and color theory based on the way artists use paint. Instead of focusing on "how" to color a selected stamp image, Amy shows you the "why" behind color selection, shade, layering, and depth. This provides students with the necessary knowledge to color any stamp image in their collection and every stamp they might purchase in the futu
Ink & Hydrangea requires confident Copic and colored pencil skills.
Skill Level: intermediate and advanced skills (not for beginners)
In a 13 minute Technique Deep Dive lesson, Amy shows you the theory behind Color Shifting, the use of temperature to indicate distance.
Then in an 8 part series of fully narrated coloring demonstration videos, students will practice coloring the Ink & Hydrangea image. Instruction includes all elements, the cast shadowing, base markering, and the entire process of sgraffito, plus creating details or color shifting with colored pencils. 200 minutes of total project demonstration time!
- Swish & Flick
- Push & Pull
- Rebel Blending
- Highlights & Color Sharing for Transparent Glass
- Color Kissing
- Color Shifting (Temperature)
- Detail work with colored pencils
- 13 minute Technique Deep Dive video- the theory of Temperature Shifting for Depth
- 24 minutes of demonstration video- the pen coloring process
- 50 minutes of demonstration video- the ink and bottle coloring process
- 22 minutes of demonstration video- the stem and leaf coloring process
- 87 minutes of demonstration video- the hydrangea petal coloring process
- 18 minutes of demonstration video- the unification process
- Digital stamp in three handy formats (PNG, JPG, or quick print PDF)
- recipe guide
- printable full color sample, underpainting guide, detailed color map, and photo reference
Required Supplies: printable supply list included in class package
- high-quality Copic friendly marker cardstock (X-Press It Blending Card is highly recommended.)
- Staedtler Triplus Pen (0.3) in Dark Gray or Copic Multiliner 0.3 in Black
- Copic Markers- 0, B93, B97, B99, C00, C1, C3, C5, C7, G24, G29, RV19, V15, V17, V09, YG21
- artist quality colored pencils (Prismacolor Premier recommended)- 109 Prussian Green, 901 Indigo Blue, 931 Dark Purple, 938 White, 995 Mulberry, 1005 Limepeel, 1007 Imperial Violet
- 1" wide Post It Tape, any color (you need two 3-4" pieces)
- Medium sized ball-tipped Embossing Stylus (any brand, can be made for papercrafting or clay)
Amy is a professional freelance technical illustrator with 25 years of experience in graphic arts. Amy began using colored pencils in 1985 and they are her preferred medium for portraiture and scientific illustration. She has a special passion for teaching crafters and shy artists to stretch their boundaries by incorporating established art techniques to their coloring projects. Join Amy for fun and highly informative lessons which will not only change the way you color but the way you see color in the world around you.
"It's the OMG moments. That's why Amy's classes rock. She explains things that you've maybe noticed before but never thought much about. I love it!"
"At 62 years of age I have no illusions about becoming a great artist but. I am so appreciative of the change in my perception since taking classes with Amy at Vanilla Arts Co. Now I see the play of colors, the motion and the grace... It's a great way to view the world around me."
"I just love the things I'm learning and can't wait to start the next project. Your images are challenging for me and I like that. I'll never look at another image and how to color it the same again!"
"I warn people when they sign up for your classes-- it's not just Copic, it's sooooooooo much more."
"Thank you, Amy for your generous nature. There are many gifted people in the world but you share your gifts so freely. Your classes are wonderful and I sincerely hope that the new online project allows more and more students to fall in love with your classes."