Intermediate - Modified Underpainting for Yellow
Join Amy Shulke, a professional illustrator and marker enthusiast for a sweet treat- Vanilla Arts style!
Marker Painting is a completely different approach to coloring with markers. Amy teaches students basic techniques and color theory based on the way artists use paint. Instead of focusing on "how" to color a selected stamp image, Amy shows you the "why" behind color selection, shade, layering, and depth. This provides students with the necessary knowledge to color any stamp image in their collection and every stamp they might purchase in the futu
Lemon Zest requires confident Copic and colored pencil skills.
Skill Level: intermediate and advanced challenge
In a 13 minute Technique Deep Dive lesson, Amy shows you how to modify the underpainting technique to shade your yellow objects with realism and beauty.
A bonus 7 minute video helps you loosen up your approach to coloring yellows... or any other color.
Then in a five part series of fully narrated coloring demonstration videos, students will practice coloring the Lemon Zest image. Instruction includes the underpainting, cast shadow, cut segments, and modified pointillism. 2 hours of total demonstration time.
- Push & Pull
- Detail work with colored pencils
- 13 minute Technique Deep Dive video- a closer look at underpainting for yellow
- 7 minute Technique Deep Dive video- the experimenting mindset
- 40 minutes of demonstration video- color-along style instruction for the Copic Marker portions of Lemon Zest
- 25 minutes of video- color along style instructional video using colored pencils
- Lemon Zest digital stamp in three handy formats (PNG, JPG, or quick print PDF)
- recipe guide
- printable full color sample, underpainting guide, detailed color map, and photo reference
Required Supplies: printable supply list included in class package
- high-quality Copic friendly marker cardstock (X-Press It Blending Card recommended)
- Copic Markers- 0, B60, B34, V12, Y11, Y13, Y15, YG03, YG17
- artist quality colored pencils (Prismacolor Premier recommended)- 901 Indigo Blue, 931 Dark Purple, 938 White, 942 Goldenrod, 936 Slate Grey, 1005 Limepeel, 1026 Greyed Lavender
Amy is a professional freelance technical illustrator with 25 years of experience in graphic arts. Amy began using colored pencils in 1985 and they are her preferred medium for portraiture and scientific illustration. She has a special passion for teaching crafters and shy artists to stretch their boundaries by incorporating established art techniques to their coloring projects. Join Amy for fun and highly informative lessons which will not only change the way you color but the way you see color in the world around you.
"It's the OMG moments. That's why Amy's classes rock. She explains things that you've maybe noticed before but never thought much about. I love it!"
"At 62 years of age I have no illusions about becoming a great artist but. I am so appreciative of the change in my perception since taking classes with Amy at Vanilla Arts Co. Now I see the play of colors, the motion and the grace... It's a great way to view the world around me."
"I just love the things I'm learning and can't wait to start the next project. Your images are challenging for me and I like that. I'll never look at another image and how to color it the same again!"
"I warn people when they sign up for your classes-- it's not just Copic, it's sooooooooo much more."
"Thank you, Amy for your generous nature. There are many gifted people in the world but you share your gifts so freely. Your classes are wonderful and I sincerely hope that the new online project allows more and more students to fall in love with your classes."