Intermediate - Soft Glowing Light Sources
Join Amy Shulke, a professional illustrator and marker enthusiast for a fun and informative coloring lesson- Vanilla Arts style!
Marker Painting is a completely different approach to coloring with markers. Amy teaches students basic techniques and color theory based on the way artists use paint. Instead of focusing on "how" to color a selected stamp image, Amy shows you the "why" behind color selection, shade, layering, and depth. This provides students with the necessary knowledge to color any stamp image in their collection and every stamp they might purchase in the futu
Luminous Lanterns requires confident Copic and colored pencil skills.
Skill Level: intermediate skills and above (not for beginners)
In a 20 minute Technique Deep Dive lesson, Amy explains her decision making process for determining whether the highlight or glow should be placed over or under the Copic marker layers. A second segment covers why exercises are not art and provides encouragement to move from coloring to artistic expression.
Then in an 5 part series of fully narrated coloring demonstration videos, students will practice coloring the Luminous Lanterns image. Instruction includes all elements: Distress Ink blending for the background, masking, the cast shadow, and the entire process of coloring beautifully soft glowing lanterns. 95 minutes of total project demonstration time.
- Swish & Flick
- Distress Ink blending
- Push & Pull
- Underpainting and overpainting
- Freehand details with technical pens
- Hard highlights with white pencils
- 20 minute Technique Deep Dive video- how to choose between underglow and overlights
- 21 minutes of demonstration video - the masking & Distress Ink process
- 22 minutes of demonstration video - the Copic Marker process
- 13 minutes of demonstration video - the pen process
- 34 minutes of demonstration video - the colored pencil process
- Digital stamp in three handy formats (PNG, JPG, or quick print PDF)
- recipe guide
- printable full color sample, underpainting guide, detailed color map, and photo reference
- free bonus issue of the Taste of Vanilla covering ink blending tools
Required Supplies: printable supply list included in class package
- high-quality Copic friendly marker cardstock (Cryogen Curious Metallic White 300gsm cardstock is highly recommended.)
- Mask-it Masking Film or suitable masking paper
- 1" Post-It Tape (any color)
- Distress Ink Pads (Classic version, Oxides are NOT recommended!) - Wild Honey, Chipped Sapphire, Black Soot
- Picket Fence Life Changing Brushes (1.5" to 2") or Ranger Mini Ink Blending Tools with a foam pad dedicated to each ink pad color
- Staedtler Triplus Pen (0.3) in Dark Gray, Light Gray, Dark Brown, Red, French Green
- Copic Markers- B60, B93, B97, BG53, BG57, C6, C8, E40, E42, E44, R02, R05
- artist quality colored pencils (Prismacolor Premier recommended)- Cobalt Turquoise 105, Indigo Blue 901, Poppy 922, White 938, Light Aqua 992, Beige 997, Blue Slate 1024, Cool Gray 90% 1067, Sandbar Brown 1094
- detail scissors
- soft rubber brayer
- glassine paper or clean scrap paper
- small ruler
Amy is a professional freelance technical illustrator with 25 years of experience in graphic arts. Amy began using colored pencils in 1985 and they are her preferred medium for portraiture and scientific illustration. She has a special passion for teaching crafters and shy artists to stretch their boundaries by incorporating established art techniques to their coloring projects. Join Amy for fun and highly informative lessons which will not only change the way you color but the way you see color in the world around you.
"It's the OMG moments. That's why Amy's classes rock. She explains things that you've maybe noticed before but never thought much about. I love it!"
"At 62 years of age I have no illusions about becoming a great artist but. I am so appreciative of the change in my perception since taking classes with Amy at Vanilla Arts Co. Now I see the play of colors, the motion and the grace... It's a great way to view the world around me."
"I just love the things I'm learning and can't wait to start the next project. Your images are challenging for me and I like that. I'll never look at another image and how to color it the same again!"
"I warn people when they sign up for your classes-- it's not just Copic, it's sooooooooo much more."
"Thank you, Amy for your generous nature. There are many gifted people in the world but you share your gifts so freely. Your classes are wonderful and I sincerely hope that the new online project allows more and more students to fall in love with your classes."