Learn to create freehand texture with colored pencil
Join Amy Shulke, a professional illustrator and marker enthusiast for a fun and informative coloring lesson- Vanilla Arts style!
Marker Painting is a completely different approach to coloring with markers. Amy teaches students basic techniques and color theory based on the way artists use paint. Instead of focusing on "how" to color a selected stamp image, Amy shows you the "why" behind color selection, shade, layering, depth, and form. This provides students with the necessary knowledge to color any stamp image in their collection and every stamp they might purchase in the future.
Robin's Nest requires confident Copic and colored pencil skills. Basic blending techniques are not covered in this class.
Skill Level: Intermediate level
This class originally ran as a Live Broadcast here at Teachable. It was filmed live and unscripted. This is a different style of presentation than the normal Marker Painting Workshops. Amy speaks live and off-the-cuff, so this is more conversational and less formal.
Includes a lesson discussion at the opening of the class and ends with a Q&A session for those attending the original broadcast.
If you are unable to join us live, join us later! Demonstration videos are available after the broadcast-- work at your own pace, enjoy forever access and revisit the project again and again. Instruction includes all elements, the cast shadowing, underpainting base markering, and pencil details to create depth and dimension.
- Push & Pull
- Freehand strokes for realistic texture
- Detail work with colored pencils
- Live Broadcast (or recording) with Q&A session for those students who attend the broadcast.
- Recording available to watch later if are unable to attend the Live Broadcast. Work at your own pace and enjoy forever access.
- Digital stamp in three handy formats (PNG, JPG, or quick print PDF)
- Recipe guide
- Printable photo reference, underpainting guide, detailed color map, and full color sample
Required Supplies: complete printable supply list included in class package
- High-quality Copic friendly marker cardstock (Cryogen Curious Metallic White is highly recommended.)
- Tim Holtz Distress Ink
- Life Changing Blending Brushes by Picket Fence
- Copic Markers
- Artist quality colored pencils (Prismacolor Premier recommended)
- Technical Pen - Posca Paint Pen Extra Fine, White
- Lawn Fawn Stamp Shammy
- Mod Podge brush or Hake dusting brush.
- Clipboard or hard surface (glass mat is recommended)
- Drafting tape.
- Pencil, pencil sharpener.
- Erasers - black and white polymer, white sticky tack, Tombow Mono Zero (round).
"It's the OMG moments. That's why Amy's classes rock. She explains things that you've maybe noticed before but never thought much about. I love it!"
"At 62 years of age I have no illusions about becoming a great artist but. I am so appreciative of the change in my perception since taking classes with Amy at Vanilla Arts Co. Now I see the play of colors, the motion and the grace... It's a great way to view the world around me."
"I just love the things I'm learning and can't wait to start the next project. Your images are challenging for me and I like that. I'll never look at another image and how to color it the same again!"
"I warn people when they sign up for your classes-- it's not just Copic, it's sooooooooo much more."
"Thank you, Amy for your generous nature. There are many gifted people in the world but you share your gifts so freely. Your classes are wonderful and I sincerely hope that the new online project allows more and more students to fall in love with your classes."