Intermediate Challenge - Accurate Values for Vibrancy
Join Amy Shulke, a professional illustrator and marker enthusiast for a beautiful cherry blossom lesson- Vanilla Arts style!
Marker Painting is a completely different approach to coloring with markers. Amy teaches students basic techniques and color theory based on the way artists use paint. Instead of focusing on "how" to color a selected stamp image, Amy shows you the "why" behind color selection, shade, layering, and depth. This provides students with the necessary knowledge to color any stamp image in their collection and every stamp they might purchase in the future.
This class contains challenges for confident colorers
Skill Level: intermediate to advanced
In a 19 minute technique lesson, Amy explores the importance of coloring with the correct values for depth in floral images. She outlines her method to avoid projects that turn out paler than you expected.
Then in a three part series of fully narrated coloring demonstration videos, students will practice coloring vibrant flower petals with amazing depth. Total demonstration time is 109 minutes. This lesson is applicable to every floral image you may own or purchase in the future.
- Use of photo references for accuracy
- Kick-out shadows
- Pre-veining with a technical pen
- Color runs
- Underpainting for florals
- Non-traditional blending combinations
- Soft highlighting
- Color kissing
- Basic techniques for colored pencil details
- 19 minute video- a deep-dive look at how to avoid accidental wash-outs of vibrancy
- 30 minute video- color along style instructional video using a technical pen and Copic markers
- 43 minute video- color along style instructional video using Copic markers
- 36 minute video- color along style instructional video using artist grade colored pencils
- Sakura Blossoms digital stamp in three handy formats (PNG, JPG, or quick print PDF)
- recipe guide
- printable full color sample, underpainting guide, detailed color map
Required Supplies: full supply list included in class package
- high-quality marker cardstock (X-Press It Blending Card recommended)
- Copic Markers- 0, C1, C3, B34, YG03, YG17, YG21, RV10, RV11, RV13, RV14, RV17, RV19
- Copic Multiliner - Sakura in 0.5 and 0.05
- artist quality colored pencils- Indigo Blue, Process Red, White, Dark Purple, Slate Grey, Blush Pink, Limepeel
Amy is a professional freelance technical illustrator with 25 years of experience in graphic arts. Amy began using colored pencils in 1985 and they are her preferred medium for portraiture and scientific illustration. She has a special passion for teaching crafters and shy artists to stretch their boundaries by incorporating established art techniques to their coloring projects. Join Amy for fun and highly informative lessons which will not only change the way you color but the way you see color in the world around you.
"It's the OMG moments. That's why Amy's classes rock. She explains things that you've maybe noticed before but never thought much about. I love it!"
"At 62 years of age I have no illusions about becoming a great artist but. I am so appreciative of the change in my perception since taking classes with Amy at Vanilla Arts Co. Now I see the play of colors, the motion and the grace... It's a great way to view the world around me."
"I just love the things I'm learning and can't wait to start the next project. Your images are challenging for me and I like that. I'll never look at another image and how to color it the same again!"
"I warn people when they sign up for your classes-- it's not just Copic, it's sooooooooo much more."
"Thank you, Amy for your generous nature. There are many gifted people in the world but you share your gifts so freely. Your classes are wonderful and I sincerely hope that the new online project allows more and more students to fall in love with your classes."