Tulips & Ribbon
Intermediate - Creating Dimensional Whites
Join Amy Shulke, a professional illustrator and marker enthusiast for a sweet treat- Vanilla Arts style!
Marker Painting is a completely different approach to coloring with markers. Amy teaches students basic techniques and color theory based on the way artists use paint. Instead of focusing on "how" to color a selected stamp image, Amy shows you the "why" behind color selection, shade, layering, and depth. This provides students with the necessary knowledge to color any stamp image in their collection and every stamp they might purchase in the future.
Tulips & Ribbon requires basic Copic blending skills.
Skill Level: moderate beginners and up
In a 10 minute Technique Deep Dive lesson, Amy shows you how to measure the value of whites, setting you free from the gray shading system.
Then in a seven part series of fully narrated coloring demonstration videos, students will practice coloring the Tulips & Ribbon image. Instruction includes the textural abstract background, entire tulip, greenery, and ribbon processes, plus how to add accurate pen and pencil details. 2 hour and 5 minutes of total demonstration time.
- Amy's Pointillism Process
- Push & Pull
- Underpainting for deeply recessed areas
- Doodling Patterns to Scale
- Detail work with technical pens and pencils
- 10 minute Technique Deep Dive video- a closer look at the color values of white
- 40 minutes of video- Tulips & Ribbon background process
- 66 minutes of video- color along style instructional video using Copic markers
- 20 minute video- color along style instructional video using artist grade colored pencils, and technical pens
- Tulips & Ribbon digital stamp in three handy formats (PNG, JPG, or quick print PDF)
- recipe guide
- printable full color sample, underpainting guide, detailed color map, and photo reference
Required Supplies: printable supply list included in class package
- high-quality Copic friendly marker cardstock (X-Press It Blending Card recommended)
- Copic Markers- 0, B34, B60, BG11, BG13, BG57, BG75, BV20, BV23, YG03, YG17, YG21
- Copic Multiliner 0.3 in Cobalt or Staedtler Triplus Pen in Dark Blue
- artist quality colored pencils (Prismacolor Premier recommended)- 901 Indigo Blue, 914 Cream, 938 White, 1011 Deco Yellow, 1025 Periwinkle. Two optional pencils include 905 Aquamarine, 1027 Peacock Blue
- Uniball Signo Broad, White
Amy is a professional freelance technical illustrator with 25 years of experience in graphic arts. Amy began using colored pencils in 1985 and they are her preferred medium for portraiture and scientific illustration. She has a special passion for teaching crafters and shy artists to stretch their boundaries by incorporating established art techniques to their coloring projects. Join Amy for fun and highly informative lessons which will not only change the way you color but the way you see color in the world around you.
"It's the OMG moments. That's why Amy's classes rock. She explains things that you've maybe noticed before but never thought much about. I love it!"
"At 62 years of age I have no illusions about becoming a great artist but. I am so appreciative of the change in my perception since taking classes with Amy at Vanilla Arts Co. Now I see the play of colors, the motion and the grace... It's a great way to view the world around me."
"I just love the things I'm learning and can't wait to start the next project. Your images are challenging for me and I like that. I'll never look at another image and how to color it the same again!"
"I warn people when they sign up for your classes-- it's not just Copic, it's sooooooooo much more."
"Thank you, Amy for your generous nature. There are many gifted people in the world but you share your gifts so freely. Your classes are wonderful and I sincerely hope that the new online project allows more and more students to fall in love with your classes."