Marker Painting: Introduction to Glazing
Join Amy Shulke, a professional illustrator and marker enthusiast for a fun and informative coloring lesson- Vanilla Arts style!
Marker Painting is a completely different approach to coloring with markers. Amy teaches students basic techniques and color theory based on the way artists use paint. Instead of focusing on "how" to color a selected stamp image, Amy shows you the "why" behind color selection, shade, layering, and depth. This provides students with the necessary knowledge to color any stamp image in their collection and every stamp they might purchase in the futu
Dragonfly requires confident Copic and colored pencil skills.
Skill Level: introduction to intermediate and advanced skills (not for beginners)
In a 14 minute Technique Deep Dive lesson, Amy shows you how to glaze with colored pencil control.
Then in a four part series of fully narrated coloring demonstration videos, students will practice coloring the Dragonfly image. Instruction includes the cast shadow, base markering, and the entire process of glazing the dragonfly's wing with colored pencils. 1.5 hours of total demonstration time.
- Push & Pull
- Color Foundations with no Underpainting
- Detail work with colored pencils
- 14 minute Technique Deep Dive video- an introduction to glazing and colored pencil control
- 31 minutes of demonstration video- color-along style instruction for the Copic Marker portions of Dragonfly
- 55 minutes of video- color along style instructional video using technical pens and colored pencils
- Dragonfly digital stamp in three handy formats (PNG, JPG, or quick print PDF)
- recipe guide
- printable full color sample, underpainting guide, detailed color map, and photo reference
Required Supplies: printable supply list included in class package
- high-quality Copic friendly marker cardstock (Cryogen 89lb Coverstock in Curious Metallic White is highly recommended. DO NOT USE X-PRESS IT IF USING THE DISTRESS INK BACKGROUND TECHNIQUE)
- Copic Markers- BG53, BG57, BV20, BV23, BV25 (optional). R14, R17
- artist quality colored pencils (Prismacolor Premier recommended)- 105 Cobalt Turquoise, 901 Indigo Blue, 926 Carmine Red, 938 White, 992 Light Aqua, 1067 90% Cool Grey
- specialty colored pencil: Pablo by Caran D'ache, 001 White
- Sharpie Poster Paint Pen (Waterbased), Extra Fine Point, White
Amy is a professional freelance technical illustrator with 25 years of experience in graphic arts. Amy began using colored pencils in 1985 and they are her preferred medium for portraiture and scientific illustration. She has a special passion for teaching crafters and shy artists to stretch their boundaries by incorporating established art techniques to their coloring projects. Join Amy for fun and highly informative lessons which will not only change the way you color but the way you see color in the world around you.
"It's the OMG moments. That's why Amy's classes rock. She explains things that you've maybe noticed before but never thought much about. I love it!"
"At 62 years of age I have no illusions about becoming a great artist but. I am so appreciative of the change in my perception since taking classes with Amy at Vanilla Arts Co. Now I see the play of colors, the motion and the grace... It's a great way to view the world around me."
"I just love the things I'm learning and can't wait to start the next project. Your images are challenging for me and I like that. I'll never look at another image and how to color it the same again!"
"I warn people when they sign up for your classes-- it's not just Copic, it's sooooooooo much more."
"Thank you, Amy for your generous nature. There are many gifted people in the world but you share your gifts so freely. Your classes are wonderful and I sincerely hope that the new online project allows more and more students to fall in love with your classes."